Max Verstappen shouts "LOL" after securing Miami GP Sprint pole with "terrible" lap.
Max Verstappen was unsurprisingly quickest on track during qualifying for the Miami Grand Prix Sprint race - though the Red Bull driver was indeed shocked with that result.
03 May 2024.
Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
The Mirror

Max Verstappen was so surprised to be on pole for the Miami Grand Prix Sprint that his first reaction was to shout "LOL" over the radio. To many, seeing the Dutchman's name at the top of the timesheets would have been no surprise. But Verstappen was certainly grateful to have gone quickest overall after what he described as a "terrible" lap.

He couldn't hide his shock after Red Bull race engineer Gianpiero Lambiase informed him that he had done enough to secure pole for Saturday's Sprint race in Florida. Verstappen said: "LOL. What happened to the others? This was terrible. I mean, I'll take it..." He still didn't quite understand what had happened before he took part in the post-session interview. He told Naomi Schiff: "To be honest with you, it felt really terrible.

"LOL. I'll take it...";

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...miami-32733131

Miami GP: Sprint Qualifying Results
Full results from the Sprint Qualifying from the Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix at Miami International Autodrome.
4 May 2024
Mat Coch
Speedcafe

Pos Num Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Diff
1 1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:28.194 1:28.001 1:27.641
2 16 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1:28.537 1:27.977 1:27.749 0.108
3 11 Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing 1:28.681 1:27.865 1:27.876 0.235
4 3 Daniel Ricciardo RB 1:28.700 1:28.122 1:28.044 0.403
5 55 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 1:28.435 1:28.262 1:28.103 0.462
6 81 Oscar Piastri McLaren 1:28.056 1:28.163 1:28.161 0.520
7 18 Lance Stroll Aston Martin 1:28.807 1:28.323 1:28.375 0.734
8 14 Fernando Alonso Aston Martin 1:28.192 1:28.189 1:28.419 0.778
9 4 Lando Norris McLaren 1:27.939 1:27.597 1:28.472 0.831
10 27 Nico Hulkenberg Haas 1:29.040 1:28.330 1:28.476 0.835

‘Full results’;

https://speedcafe.com/miami-gp-sprin...fying-results/

Max Verstappen laughs at Red Bull's rivals at Miami Grand Prix as Dutchman shocked
Max Verstappen claimed the sprint race pole at the Miami Grand Prix on Friday but didn't celebrate when informed by his race engineer.
May 3, 2024
Harry Smith
Daily and Sunday Express

The Dutchman was piecing together a strong lap but endured a messy start to sector three, experiencing a major snap while navigating the awkward chicane at Turns 14 and 15, costing him plenty of time. However, with his closest rivals also struggling, this was enough to claim the P1 spot on the grid for Saturday's sprint. Lando Norris had been the frontrunner throughout the first two sprint qualifying sessions but had a miserable opening sector on his final run.

Elaborating on his shock after the session, Verstappen noted: "It felt really terrible. Maybe that last session was just incredibly difficult to get the tyres to work. Already in SQ2, I didn't feel great. SQ3, it just felt quite similar for me. I didn't really improve on the soft. Somehow we were first. Of course, I happily take it.”

"But it didn't feel enjoyable out there to drive for whatever reason because in practice it felt really, really nice, I was very comfortable and confident, qualifying, not so much."

‘Dutchman shocked’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ami-Grand-Prix

Verstappen takes 'terrible' Miami sprint pole as Hamilton hits wall
The Mercedes pair of Lewis Hamilton and George Russell has a sprint qualifying to forget in Miami, but Max Verstappen would return to sprint qualifying form, taking his seventh pole position in eight from the 2024 F1 season so far.
3 May 2024
Samuel Coop
RacingNews365

Max Verstappen claimed sprint qualifying pole at the Miami Grand Prix, beating Charles Leclerc and team-mate Sergio Perez, despite a hairy moment in the Turn 14/15 chicane on his one timed run - with him calling his attempt "terrible". The Dutch driver missed out on sprint qualifying pole at the Chinese Grand Prix, but made amends in Miami, beating the Ferrari by a tenth of a second.

Daniel Ricciardo was the standout performer, putting his RB in fourth, ahead of Carlos Sainz and the McLarens and Aston Martins. It was a disappointing session for Lando Norris, who despite upgrades, could only get the better of Haas driver Nico Hulkenberg in the final sprint qualifying session. He will line up in ninth for the Saturday morning sprint.

But drama for Mercedes. Like Ricciardo, Hamilton would hit the wall, ruining his lap and leaving him only just ahead of Ocon. He would be joined by team-mate George Russell in an underwhelming SQ2 for the team. Norris and Perez would remain out front, leading the remaining 10 drivers through after Magnussen and Tsunoda were also eliminated.

‘Lewis Hamilton and George Russell has a sprint qualifying to forget’;

https://racingnews365.com/verstappen...lton-hits-wall

Lewis Hamilton issues grim reality check for Mercedes after Miami GP sprint qualifying disaster
Lewis Hamilton and George Russell continued Mercedes' dismal 2024 F1 season at the Miami GP
4 May 2024
Adam Dickinson
Total Motorsport

Lewis Hamilton believes Mercedes are seven-tenths off the pace in 2024 after he and George Russell were dumped out of SQ2 at the 2024 Miami Grand Prix to continue to their woeful start to the campaign.

He made several errors in the tricky sector three of the Miami International Autodrome on his final SQ2 lap, but teammate George Russell also missed out behind the tenth-placed Haas of Nico Hulkenberg. “The car felt really good in FP1 and then, I mean it didn’t feel terrible, we’re just seven-tenths off,” Hamilton told F1TV. “That’s just the pace of our car I think.”

“I think the sprint race is going to be tough. I mean, we’re in P12. So don’t expect a huge amount from there to be honest. It’s not an easy circuit to overtake on or to follow. So just trying to step into the points somehow if we can. This weekend we’ve just been, no more experiments just trying to make the car work. So I feel like we extracted everything from the car. And that’s just our pace. You know, we just have to accept it for the moment that we’re seven-tenths off.”

‘Grim reality check for Mercedes’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...ying-disaster/

Mercedes summoned to stewards over Lewis Hamilton Sprint Qualifying incident at Miami GP
03 May 2024
Thomas Maher
PlanetF1.com

Mercedes are off to see the stewards in Miami after Sprint Qualifying, due to an apparent team error on Lewis Hamilton’s side of the garage. The stewards have been kept busy in the hours following Sprint Qualifying at the Miami Grand Prix, with Mercedes summoned before them due to an alleged breach of the rules.

During SQ2, as Hamilton came into the pits for fresh tyres, Mercedes team members appeared to not have their helmets on as they worked on the W15. This has led to a summons under Article 34.13 of the F1 FIA Sporting Regulations, “a failure to wear helmets by team personnel during the pit stop at 16:55”.

Hamilton made a small error during the Sprint Qualifying session, tapping the wall on the exit of Turn 16, ultimately falling short of making it into SQ3 by less than half a tenth. “I have got nothing,” said Hamilton over the radio following his premature exit from the session, which determines the grid order for Saturday’s Sprint race. Hamilton could be seen climbing sadly from his Mercedes, shaking his head as he walked through the garage.

‘Mercedes summoned to stewards’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/merced...ami-grand-prix

2024 Miami GP Sprint Qualifying: Jubilant Ricciardo crosses the line to take P4
03 May 2024
Formula One - Official Site (Video)

It’s been a tricky start to the season for RB's Daniel Ricciardo, but the Australian was overjoyed after taking a second row grid slot for the Sprint in Miami.

‘Jubilant Ricciardo crosses the line to take P4’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...048796061.html

Ricciardo eyeing big Miami sprint result after standout qualifying
Daniel Ricciardo is dreaming of a podium finish in the sprint at the Miami Grand Prix after qualifying fourth.
4 May 2024
Samuel Coop

The Australian twice hit the wall on the outside of the tricky chicane complex during SQ2, but was able to get through to the final section of qualifying, where he bested the Ferrari of Carlos Sainz, as well as the two McLarens and two Aston Martins. He will line up alongside Sergio Perez's Red Bull.

"Certainly," he replied, when asked by Sky Sports F1 if he could dream of a podium finish in the Miami Grand Prix sprint, adding: "I can dream of everything" when the win was then suggested to him. It's just so nice starting towards the front. Even just being out of that mid-pack, [as] that [is] normally a bit of chaos.”

"So, hopefully you go with the leaders at the beginning. It's a short race so hopefully get kind of through enough of it with them in the first few laps and end up with a good bag of points."

"I can dream of everything";

https://racingnews365.com/ricciardo-...out-qualifying